When Teachers’ Day Feels Like Goodbye


Teachers’ Day comes, but I don’t celebrate;

My classrooms silent, ghosts of voices play.

At CTS, the little ones would say,

“India is my monkey (their way of saying country),” bright and late.


AEMS’s children wild with endless spark,

Their laughter breaking like a restless tide.

To them, monkey’s mischief was a lark,

A joke that danced too loud to hide.


Now I sit with memory’s ache and light,

Missing days when chaos meant pure joy.

No cards or songs can touch the quiet night,

Where time has stolen every girl and boy.


I carry all their wildness in my chest,

This Teachers’ Day feels quiet, not the best.


© 05-09-2025 Pastor Emmanuel Serto


Note: CTS for Children Training School, Nirjuli, Arunachal Pradesh

AEMS for Aturkimi English Medium School, Karbi Anglong, Assam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What If?

To Be or Not To Be: A Soul's Solemn Query

Epstein and the Weight of Witness